Earlier today, my cousin tweeted me telling me she was thinking about starting a blog. I told her to start with either WordPress or Blogger and to let me know if she had further questions. I said that like it’s the most important part of blogging, but really it’s not. What makes blogging fun and rewarding is the community. I’m happy to be part of the community here on WordPress and I love interacting with other bloggers. One especially cool thing are the reader-nominated awards, like this one, the Liebster.
Melly, a self-described “30something Sydneysider” nominated me for this award. She requested that I answer the following questions.
1. What would you spend your last $50 on?
Honestly? Probably something silly like a bunch of Amazon mp3 albums. A week later when I’m eating the last of my canned soup, I’ll be kicking myself for buying a Nina Simone album – even if Wild is the Wind is an amazing song. At least my hunger will have an amazing soundtrack.
2. Favorite fashion accessory?
In the past, I had three weaknesses while shopping: cute coats, classy handbags, and superfluous shoes. For the most part, I’ve calmed down. I bought a very practical parka on sale last winter and have passed by many clearance pea coats this winter. I’ve purchased only two purses and one clutch this year. And I’ve stuck to clearance shoes – flats under $5, and a pair of $8 leopard print heels. My favorite accessory would probably be my cubic zirconia studs. When they’re clean, the 2-karat cheats could blind someone. I’ll stick with the cubic zirconia until I’m rich enough for actual diamonds.
3. If you were a character on The Simpsons, who would you be?
I don’t watch The Simpsons, really, but I vaguely remember Lisa being a musician who read a lot. So that’s sort of a no-brainer.
4. What’s your go-to comfort food?
Bread. Hands down. Give me a loaf of warm, crusty french bread and I’ll be happy. I don’t even need butter or jam – just give me plain bread and I will be completely content. Until it’s gone.
5. If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Someplace that is not Wisconsin. Honestly, this winter is terrible. I’m not used to getting 3-5 inches of snow every week – we haven’t had winters like this since I was a kid. I don’t need to see a beach. I don’t need a sunburn. I don’t need rum-heavy drinks. Actually, I was lying about the rum drinks. I’ll take some of those. Anyway, what I need is some soft grass and a reason to wear sunglasses other than the snow reflecting and blinding me.
6. Do you prefer to work out in the gym, at home, or outdoors; what do you love about it?
Bouncing around in my living room makes me feel like an ogre. When i workout outside, I sometimes get over ambitious and run or bike a ridiculous distance away from home, instead of staying within a reasonable radius. I prefer the gym because if I lose all ambition or energy, I can do a quick cool-down and drive home. Gyms can get boring, but that’s why it’s great to have Netflix on cell phones and tablets.
7. If you could pick 4 people (living or dead) to have a dinner party with, who would they be and why?
Kanye West because it’s Kanye West. He would provide the comic relief without realizing he was providing comic relief. Lena Dunham so I could pick her brain and become her new best friend and she would want to pilot an HBO series based on my blog. Ira Glass so he could be the token jew-athiest who would provide all of the interesting and topical stories we’d discuss while Kanye said things like, “Why don’t you have any fur-covered pillows?” And to humble everyone at the party, I would invite Vladimir Nabokov. He would remind us that none of us are as smart or as talented as we think we are. Dude wrote Lolita – that trumps Kanye’s obnoxious tweets, the honesty of Girls, and Ira’s most heart-wrenching story about underprivileged children diagnosed with cancer who go on to be Nobel Laureates, or something.
8. What’s your signature cooking dish?
Something smothered in peanut sauce, most likely. Or dutch babies.
9. Favorite TV show?
This is so difficult! Arrested Development for its endearing portrayal of narcissists? 30 Rock for Tina Fey’s ability to mix the meta with the obnoxious? Breaking Bad for its shocking dissection of a man’s descent into evil with a super hot sidekick (Jesse Pinkman ftw!)? Community for its constant breaking of the fourth wall and disregard for comedy norms? I LOVE ALL MY CHILDREN EQUALLY.
10. Where did you go to high school?
Good ol’ Menasha High School, home of the Bluejays. I spent a good deal of time hanging out at a coffee shop in Neenah (Menasha’s neighbor and rival) and made quite a few friends who gave me the adorable nickname “Metrashley.” They were clever. I told somebody this anecdote once, and he reacted with horror and pity. Maybe I got it wrong, but I think they called me Metrashley ironically. Dressed constantly in flats and pastel cardigans, I was the opposite of trashy. Aside from simply residing in a town sometimes called “Metrasha” (pronounced “Meh-trash-ah” for those of you confused), there is literally no way I could have earned this nickname.
11. What are you currently obsessed with?
Gosh, where to start? Jazz, comedy, books about religion, zero-calorie Powerade, guacamole, the promise of spring, and rereading old diaries.
Since I accepted the Liebster Blog Award, here are the rules:
Rules for the Liebster Blog Award (if you choose to accept)
1. Add the award icon to your post.
2. Link in your nominator to say thank you.
3. Answer the questions the nominator has set for you, and create eleven questions for your own nominees to answer.
4. Choose eleven bloggers to nominate for the award, and let them know.
I’m going to nominate the following bloggers for the award:
- Marcus, The Entertaining. [Voices in Heads]
- Rachel, The Healthy. [her name is rachel]
- Kristen, The Resourceful. [Five in Tow]
- Katie, The Sassy. [Sass and Balderdash]
- Jess, The Bold. [Mitten’s Kittens]
- I Don’t Know Your Name, The Clever. [Thoughts and Rants in Jogging Pants]
- Amy, The Self-Aware. [It’s a Conundrum]
- Anouchka, The Colorful. [Life of Bun]
- Mindy, The Poetic. [Becoming Mindy]
- Mer, The Adventurous. [loveplusthely]
- I Don’t Know Your Name Either, The Determined. [A Girl Who Writes]
My questions for my nominees (if you choose to accept) are as follows:
- Are you a dog or cat person? Why?
- Growing up, what was your favorite cartoon?
- If you could meet one fictional character, who would it be?
- What is one of your guilty pleasures?
- You’re forced to relocate immediately; Where would you choose to live?
- Marry, Boff, Kill: Your first, second, and third romantic partners.
- What was your first car?
- What’s your homepage?
- Name two things other than your phone or computer you couldn’t live without.
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What are you currently obsessed with?
Thanks again for the nomination, Melly! To my friends who I’ve nominated: I listed you because I truly enjoy your posts and look forward to reading more – even if I don’t know your first names.